Friday, May 10, 2013

#55 American Beauty (1999)

I remember when this film came out. It got such rave reviews. I just never got around to watching it. Immediately when I watched this film, I couldn't help but think of Fight Club (#10). The plot lines and the cinematography are completely different, but the main male character essentially comes from the same place. He has what many would say is the perfect life, but in reality he is completely frustrated and can't keep living a lie.  Both even quit their job and blackmail their bosses. After he casts off all societal norms, he begins to feel normal and alive. This movie came out the same year as Fight Club (1999). What was the so bad about the 90s that I don't remember? I think the most interesting thing is probably what these movies reflect about what America was thinking during this time. My best guess is there was a complete dissatisfaction with the American dream.  People were told the American dream is what everyone should strive for, and they would be happy. You know, the white picket fence, beautiful wife, house in the suburbs, and when people got all of that they realized they were still unhappy. There was something missing. I think American Beauty and Fight Club help explore this question. I will keep my eyes open for any other late 90s movies to see if there is a similar connection. Ultimately, I have two words for this movie: different; intriguing. It is a dark look into modern suburbia.
Carolyn Burnham: "Uh, whose car is that out front?"
Lester Burnham: "Mine. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!"

Have you seen this movie? What did you think?
What movie should I watch next?

No comments:

Post a Comment