Friday, May 31, 2013

#160 Notorious (1946)

I started watching this without knowing Alfred Hitchcock directed this film. I will go into all the films he did on this list on a later post because there are quite a few. I knew I liked Alfred Hitchcock as a young kid when I used to watch his TV show. They were so much different than anything else from that time, at least anything else that was on TV Land. Anyways, I really liked this movie. It's timeless. This is the second movie I've watched with Cary Grant (#42 North by Northwest) and he basically did the same character again. Whatever. I'll keep an eye out if he is actually all he is cracked up to be. The movie has an excellent story, and I really like how Hitchcock moved the story along and created the suspense. In particular the shot of the champagne bottles slowly disappearing really stuck out. I wasn't so thrilled with the love story in the movie. It was contrived and too similar, in my opinion, to North by Northwest but then again this movie came first. If you can look past the love story, this is a really good movie. Also, this movie is from
1946, which is obviously one year after WWII, and this movie is about finding some Germans, which I found interesting considering the time period.
One last thing, I am starting my internship at the United States Southern District on Monday, and I just got done with my first class to prepare for it, and imagine my surprise when the first scene includes a judge saying he is from the US Southern District. Exciting! This is also the second movie with anything to do with Miami (#88 Some Like It Hot). Look for Alfred Hitchcock's cameo in his movies. They are very easy to spot, at least so far.
"We are protected by the enormity of your stupidity, for a time." -Madame Sebastian

Have you seen this movie? What movie should I watch next?
Follow +Andrew Gaudet's blog as we both watch our way to the top 250.
Back to the current list.

No comments:

Post a Comment