Friday, May 10, 2013

#38 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Since the last movie I looked at had some overtones of the feeling of America in the movie, this was a great follow up. This is a 1960s movie and you can tell. It is all concerned with nuclear war and the end of the world. These sorts of ideas do not resonate with me very well because I did not grow up in that era. I feel that is why I really did not get into this movie very much. It felt dull and unoriginal, but then again that may be because this movie was such a trend setter. I do not know.
Apparently this movie was supposed to be satirical. I got that it was silly, but I guess I didn't see too much fun being poked at anyone. I wish I would've known this before watching it. I probably would've appreciated it more. This movie did have two great quotes.
"Make me a drink of grain alcohol and rainwater, and you help yourself to whatever you like." and...
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here; this is a war room." -President Merkin Muffle

Have you seen this movie? What did you think?
What movie should I watch next?

2 comments:

  1. Surprisingly I never saw this movie, but it starred Peter Sellers, right? Love the war room quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he played three different characters I believe.

    ReplyDelete