Thursday, May 23, 2013

#81 Full Metal Jacket (1987)

I am still not quite sure why there is an obsession with Stanley Kubrick. I like his work, but does he deserve 8 (Full Metal Jacket, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, The Killing, Paths of Glory, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon) titles in the top 250 when he only directed 13 feature films? Whatever. I will give Kubrick credit that his movies are all very different but yet feel the same. It is hard to believe the same guy directed (and wrote the screenplay) for The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and A Clockwork Orange. So different. This movie is good and it is gut wrenching. It tells a story the way you think a story would happen. It has the Kubrick feel to it. I am not sure how to explain it. This movie is about the Vietnam War and it follows one character through basic to... well I don't want to ruin it. The movie definitely explores how war has an affect on young men. This movie was made in the 80s, so you would think it would be cynical towards the war. I feel it was relatively honest.
"Me love you long time."-Hooker

Have you seen this movie? What movie should I watch next?
Follow +Andrew Gaudet's blog as we both watch our way to the top 250.
Back to the current list.

No comments:

Post a Comment