Monday, May 27, 2013

#123 Blade Runner (1982)

I never knew what this movie was about. Personally, I always thought of the video game Grid Runner. Both seem pretty dystopic so I guess there are some similarities. Anyways, I think I figured out how to best enjoy a sci-fi movie. You either have to watch it when it first comes out or as a kid and you haven't been exposed to the ideas the movie brings up. The reason why I say that is because sci-fi movies usually make you think about the future in some way that has never been thought about before. This can easily get dated because we have a different view of how the future actually develops (as with this movie it is supposedly 2019) or the crazy idea that the film explores is no longer original because that thought is now mainstream. Kids can still appreciate it because they haven't been exposed to many different thoughts about the future yet. This should explain why I found the Terminator series great even though it was an old series. The idea of time travel and robots fighting wars against humans was a new concept to me.
I say all of that to say this: I didn't really get into this movie. It is about these bioengineered slaves that are basically indistinguishable from humans except for their empathy. I saw all of this in Terminator (though the first Terminator movie was 1984) and I really didn't ponder much about the future after this movie. I am sure it was just amazing when it came out, but to me, this was just a better 2001: The Space Odyssey. Once again, I can't fault this movie, just the time period in which I finally watched it. I also feel the pace of the movie was a little weird. Chalk it up to the sci-fi genre, I suppose.
"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?" -Gaff

Have you seen this movie? What movie should I watch next?
Follow +Andrew Gaudet's blog as we both watch our way to the top 250.
Back to the current list.

No comments:

Post a Comment