Saturday, March 15, 2014

#196 The Hustler (1961)

I like Paul Newman's cereal, and I enjoyed Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but this movie wasn't all that great. The story was just so simple, predictable, and plain dull. Basically, this guy wants to hustle some money away from this other guy. When he finally does, it is perhaps the most anti-climatic ending. It's convoluted drivel. I always thought the story was supposed to carry old movies. Maybe people just liked it because Jackie Gleason was (barely) in it. The characters were shallow and undeveloped. This is especially true because the woman is the typical woman for old movies. She is weak, cries, and entire existence revolves around the man. Also, I am going to start counting how often a man hits a woman in a movie. It's a lot. Anyways, I just didn't enjoy it. I have no idea why this is ranked so high. There was one shocking scene. Perhaps that is what made this movie famous. I don't know.
"You know, someday, Sarah, you're gonna settle down... you're gonna marry a college professor and you're gonna write a great book. Maybe about me. Huh? Fast Eddie Felson... hustler." -Fast Eddie

Have you seen this movie? What movie should I watch next?
Follow +Andrew Gaudet's blog as we both watch our way to the top 250.
Back to the current list.

No comments:

Post a Comment