Saturday, March 15, 2014

#148 The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Finally! I have seen The Wizard of Oz. +Leslie Roskovich offered to watch a movie with me, and she picked out this one. I was going to save it to be one of the lasts ones, but I think with our upcoming trip to Kansas, it is appropriate. This is one of three movies on the top 250 from the legendary year, 1939. I already watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I still need to watch Gone With the Wind.
After watching this movie, I wonder why it wasn't more of a trendsetter. The movie used a lot of moving shots, it was in color, and in general, felt a lot like a present-day blockbuster. It seems decades passed until the effect of The Wizard of Oz took over. The movie was not a commercial success when it came out. Still, why did it take about 30 more years till color fully took off? Did they think it was a passing fad? Also, the movie's special effects were very impressive.
This is also the second straight movie (along with Harvey) where I heard about suing someone into ruin. Maybe America has been litigious a little longer than people think.
This is also the second movie that made me appreciate Spaceballs a little more. Now I can appreciate meeting Yogurt for the first time, Another one, which I am pretty sure about, is from It Happened One Night. The father tells his daughter as she is about to be wed that the guy that helped her only took the money he needed, not the reward. The lines were almost identical. I guess I was right.
I really enjoyed this movie, and it is truly timeless. I really don't know how to pick a quote for this movie. I feel like every line is so famous and has been said a thousand times. I guess I will go with something that is kind of funny and I don't think I heard it before today.

Dorothy: "How do you talk if you don't have a brain?"
Scarecrow: "Well, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking don't they?"

Have you seen this movie? What movie should I watch next?
Follow +Andrew Gaudet's blog as we both watch our way to the top 250.
Back to the current list

No comments:

Post a Comment